For the first time, iPod touch is made from the same kind of anodized aluminum used in the MacBook line. And it's made the same way too: By machining the enclosure from a single piece of aluminum. The first thing you'll notice about iPod touch is its barely-there weight. Then its supersmooth finish. Then all those Apple details like the highly polished beveled edges. And iPod touch is made from one of the strongest grades of aluminum there is. Which means that it not only looks and feels incredible, it's tough enough to tag along on more than a few crazy nights out.
There's a reason these iPod touch colors are so incredibly rich and vibrant. It's because they're bonded right to the aluminum not just painted on the surface. So you see saturated color that still lets the luster of the metal shine through. Which gives you a material that shows off the color, and a color that shows off the material.
The new Retina display got taller but not wider. That means everything you do on iPod touch can remain a one-handed operation, and your thumb gets more room to roam. The display is also more advanced, with finger-friendly Multi-Touch technology built into the glass instead of beneath it. So less gets between you and your games, music, messages whatever you love to see and do.
The iPod touch loop is a colorful new way to keep your iPod touch at the ready. That's perfect for when you want to shoot from a hard-to-reach camera angle. Flip iPod touch up to type a quick iMessage. Or just sport it when you're pocketless. The loop also keeps your iPod touch safe, so you don't have to worry about a slip, fumble, drop, or overzealous robot dance.
Just push the button on the back, slide the loop over it, give the loop a little tug, and you're good to go. The design is so streamlined, you won't even notice the button until you need it.
Creating one-earbud-fits-all headphones is a challenge. That's because everyone's ears are different. So when Apple engineers were designing the new EarPods, they didn't start with the speaker, they started with the ear. Unlike traditional circular earbuds, the design of the Apple EarPods is based on the geometry of the ear. Which makes them more comfortable for more people than any other earbud-style headphones.
But they're not just designed for the perfect fit. They're designed for the perfect sound, too. You'll hear deeper, richer bass and better audio all around. And they're incredibly stable in your ear. Which means they stay in, even when you're out and about.
- The new iSight camera lets you take your best shots. Facebook integration gives you plenty to post about. (Or you can just ask Siri to post for you.) And, of course, there are endless games to play and endless music to listen to. All on the thinnest, lightest iPod touch ever.
- When you see the new iPod touch for the first time, you won't believe your eyes. But when you hold it in your hand that's when you get how unbelievable it is. It weighs next to nothing, yet it's no lightweight: It still does all the gaming, surfing, messaging, and everything else you love, more powerfully than ever.
- Apple designers and engineers tested 124 different prototypes of the EarPods on over 600 people to create the all-new Apple EarPods. The result? A really comfortable fit and incredible sound.
- The iPod touch loop comes color-matched to your iPod touch, or you can buy other colors separately. It's a fun new way to keep your iPod touch safe at hand.
- iPod touch now has a bigger, 4-inch Retina display, so all your fun takes on a bigger size. Your hairpin car-racing turns, your dance party playlist, your favorite celeb gossip site everything is sharp, vivid, and lifelike. And the new display is a perfect widescreen fit for your HD movies and TV shows because now you can watch them all without letterboxing.
- Some moments are just begging for a photo. Your best friend's bizarro look-alike spotted on the street. An entire wall of graffiti art. A surreal-looking sunset. The iSight camera on iPod touch packs 5 megapixels seven times more than the previous generation and takes such great shots, you can ditch your point-and-shoot camera for good.
- Advanced optics, tap to focus, an LED flash, and face detection help you get the shot every time. The iSight camera shoots 1080p HD video, and the front camera gets a boost for better FaceTime calls. And you can edit, crop, and enhance your photos right from iPod touch using the Photos app.
- Use the panorama feature on iPod touch to grab a sweeping shot of your favorite city skyline, your graduating class in the bleachers, or your dachshund stretched out at naptime. Just tap the button, move the camera over the scene, and iPod touch seamlessly creates the perfect wide shot.
- It's the most powerful iPod touch ever. That's because the dual-core A5 chip provides up to twice the processing power and up to seven times faster graphics than the previous generation. So games are incredibly responsive and realistic. Your samurai swordplay is sharper than ever, your zombie-dodging ultrasmooth. And because the A5 chip isn't a power hog, you get the same great battery life: up to 40 hours of music or 8 hours of video on a single charge. So you can keep on swinging, slicing, and racing. And listening, watching, and browsing.
- The latest song you have on endless repeat. The indie track your friend recommended. That classic rock album your parents loved and, it turns out, you love too. Your music library is yours alone, and your iPod touch is where it all plays. And with every kind of music on iTunes just a tap away, you can find the perfect song for whatever mood or room or car you're in.
- Movies and TV shows never looked better on iPod touch. Videos play in true widescreen on the 4-inch Retina display. Colors positively pop thanks to 44 percent greater saturation. And if you're in the mood for that movie your friends can't stop raving about, head to the iTunes Store, where you can download it right to iPod touch.
- When you download your favorite music, apps, movies, TV shows, and books from the iTunes Store to iPod touch, iCloud makes all that content accessible on all your other devices iPhone, iPad, Mac, or PC so you never have to connect cables or manually sync to transfer your content.
- Introducing Apple EarPods. They look unlike anything you've seen, and sound unlike anything you've heard. They fit comfortably and stay put through all kinds of activity, from your impromptu dancing to your hard-core workout. And the audio quality of Apple EarPods is so incredible, they rival high-end headphones that cost hundreds of dollars more.
- Fast dual-core performance and sharp graphics make iPod touch the hands-down, thumbs-up, most popular portable gaming device in the world. The App Store features 700,000 apps including over 100,000 games many of which are free. Boredom, you just got served.
- This is where gamers become friends. And friends become foes. Game Center is your social gaming hub, where you create a profile, invite other gamers on your next mission, and claim top-of-the-leaderboards bragging rights. Start a challenge with a random player around the world or with your buddy down the block. Let the schooling begin.
- Say you want to learn how to speak your name in Russian. Or find out who sings that great song you're hearing in the store. Or get that photo filter that makes your pics look super vintage-y. Chances are, if you can think of it, you can find it in the App Store. And even if you can't think of it, you can probably find it in the App Store.
- It's not just about what's out there. It's also about what's in here. iPod touch comes loaded with lots of powerful built-in apps. Send unlimited texts with iMessage over Wi-Fi. See your friend's every expression with a FaceTime video call. Check your email with Mail, and browse the web with Safari. And iOS 6 adds new stuff to the mix with Siri, Facebook integration, Maps, Passbook, and more.
- With AirPlay, you can wirelessly stream whatever's on your iPod touch to your HDTV via Apple TV.6 Say you have some friends over and want a little more real estate to show them something on your iPod touch a video of you punking a friend or an epic scene from your favorite movie. Tap the AirPlay icon from the app you're in such as Photos, Music, Videos, or Safari and everything on your small screen plays on your big screen. You can also stream music to any AirPlay-enabled speakers or AirPort Express-connected speakers, so your sounds sound even bigger.
- And AirPlay Mirroring lets you share exactly what's happening on your iPod touch screen at any given moment with everyone in the room on your HDTV via Apple TV. Show a new site you discovered. Stream games live as you're playing, and give your alien butt-kicking skills the full display they deserve.
- With Bluetooth built into iPod touch, pairing with Bluetooth-enabled headphones and speakers is a cinch. And if your car has a Bluetooth-enabled sound system, you can play your tunes to it right from iPod touch. So you never have to miss a beat.
- The thinnest, lightest iPod touch ever wouldn't have been possible without making some big changes. Including completely redesigning the connector you charge it with. The new connector is called Lightning. It's smaller and smarter, and with an adapter (sold separately), it'll still work with the stuff you already have.
Size and Weight
- Height: 4.86 inches (123.4 mm)
- Width: 2.31 inches (58.6 mm)
- Depth: 0.24 inch (6.1 mm)
- Weight: 3.10 ounces (88 grams)
- 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz)
- Bluetooth 4.0
- Maps: Location-based service4
- Nike+ support built in
- 4-inch (diagonal) widescreen display with Multi-Touch IPS technology
- Retina display
- 1136-by-640-pixel resolution at 326 pixels per inch
- 800:1 contrast ratio (typical)
- 500 cd/m2 max brightness (typical)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
Camera, Photos, and Video
- 5-megapixel iSight camera
- Tap to focus video or still images
- Backside illumination
- Hybrid IR filter
- Five-element lens
- LED flash
- f/2.4 aperture
- Face detection
- HD video recording (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
- FaceTime HD camera with 1.2MP photos and HD video (720p) up to 30 frames per second
- Video stabilization
- Tap to control exposure for video or stills
- Photo and video geotagging over Wi-Fi
Input and Output
- Lightning connector
- 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack
- Built-in speaker
Power and Battery
- Built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- Music playback time: Up to 40 hours when fully charged
- Video playback time: Up to 8 hours when fully charged
- Charging times: Fast charge in about 2 hours (80% capacity), full charge in about 4 hours
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
- User-configurable maximum volume limit
TV and Video
- H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
- AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV support at 720p
- AirPlay video streaming to Apple TV (3rd generation) at up to 1080p and Apple TV (2nd generation) at up to 720p
- Three-axis gyro
- Apple ID (required for some features)
- Internet access
- Syncing with iTunes on a Mac or PC requires:
Mac: OS X v10.6.8 or later
PC: Windows 7; Windows Vista; or Windows XP Home or Professional with Service Pack 3 or later
iTunes 10.7 or later
What's in the Box
- iPod touch
- iPod touch loop
- Apple EarPods
- Lightning to USB Cable
- Quick Start guide