Ask a Macologist
Quite often we’ll get folks asking about iPod touch apps which close right after opening. These apps won’t get past the opening screen, and it frustrates a lot of people. These are often non-OS standard apps, and rest assured, there is a way to troubleshoot your iPod touch to get things working again.
1. Connect your device to a computer and open iTunes.
2. In iTunes, select your device in the left-hand column and then click the Applications tab. Verify that Sync Applications is checked.
3. Choose Store > Deauthorize Computer from the menu bar. Enter your iTunes Store account and password, and then click Deauthorize.
4. Click Sync in the lower-right to sync your device. When prompted, select Don’t Authorize. This will remove all applications and other iTunes Store content from the device.
5. Note: You may see this prompt more than once. Select Don’t Authorize each time
6. When the sync is complete, choose Store > Authorize Computer from the menu bar. Enter your iTunes Store account and password, and then click Authorize.
7. Sync your applications and content from iTunes to the device.
Make sure you’ve have the latest version of iTunes installed. You can download and install the latest version of iTunes here. You should also check to see if there are any updates available for your application, installing the update may help to resolve any issues you may be experiencing. When checking for updates or newer versions of your application, make sure you are downloading the correct version for your device.
To remove an App Store application from your device:
1. Touch and hold any application icon on the Home Screen until the icons start to wiggle.
2. Tap the “x” in the corner of the application you want to delete.
3. Tap Delete to remove the application and all of its data from your device.
4. Press the Home button to save your arrangement.
To remove an App Store application from your iTunes library:
1. Click on Applications from the left-hand column of the iTunes window.
2. Locate the application and either right-click or Control-click and choose Delete from the shortcut menu.
3. Select Remove when asked if you want to remove the selected application from your iTunes library.
4. Select Move to Trash when asked if you want to move the selected application to the Trash or Recycle Bin.
To download the application to your device or computer again:
1. Go to the App Store on your device or in iTunes.
2. Make sure you are signed in with the same account used for the original purchase.
3. Locate the application and click the “Buy App” button or tap the price on the device.
4. You will then see a dialog similar to one of the two below.
Redownloading from your computer you will see a prompt which says” You have already downloaded this time. To download it again for free, select OK.” Select OK to redownload the app.
Redownloading from your device you will see a prompt which says “You have already purchased this item. To download it again for free, select OK.” Select OK to redownload the app to your device.
Note: If you are rebilled for your download you can report the issue to Apple. If you are still having difficulty using a particular application, try downloading a different free application from the App Store.
That should do it! If the app still isn’t functioning properly you can report that to Apple here.